Thursday, May 28, 2009

to our readers ........... from P

This is a little different from our normal blogging style, but I want to give you a status update and a few statistics about you - our readers.

We are quickly motoring up the final leg of the ICW toward home. Unless something very unexpected happens (and by now you know there is always a good chance of that) we will pick up our daughter, HA, in Elizabeth City NC, and the three of us will traverse the final stretch together. This will put us home on Sunday afternoon, May 31. Although this will be the end of our live-aboard adventure, we will continue our unemployed sailing lifestyle at least through the end of the summer. Our calendar is already filling with sail trips, including another trip around the Chesapeake Bay, extended weekend excursions, and of course the Screwpile Challenge Race Week event. That is the week long regatta series that we included within the beginning of our adventures last July. Can it be a year ago? Unreal. But the adventures continue, so please check in with us regularly – a lot of stuff is yet to happen!

On another subject - after long stretches of time with no comments from our readers, I began to wonder if anyone was still out there. So a few months ago I added a feature which simply counts how many “hits” are made on our blog each day. I have been pleasantly surprised to learn that we have an average of 28 visitors per day. Some are daily, others are every 3 to 7 days. This means we probably have somewhere between 70 and 100 people who are interested enough to click in and see what’s going on with us. To you, I say THANK YOU! Even if you are a shy bunch. Thanks for coming along with us on our big adventure. Stick around because it is certainly not over; mother nature has a wicked sense of humor.

Yet another subject – we recently met a great young couple (really young) who bought a solid old boat just a few months ago. They are living aboard, and have begun their journey of adventures. Jamie and Jeremy have big plans to sail New England, the east coast, through the Panama Canal, and all the way around to Hawaii. Like us, they are learning as they go. I invite and encourage you to check out their story also. They are good bloggers – visit Jamie and Jeremy at http://jibnotes.com/. Tell them you are a friend/family of ours.
Thank you for the great e-mails and thoughts of support. We will persist in our quest to answer our lingering question: What are we doin' ?
approaching a bridge on the ICW. Will we make it under?
Barely!
Looking aft from the bow.

7 comments:

sari_mishap said...

I wonder if the hits include people who subscribe to your blog via the RSS feed? I read every one of your posts through Google Reader, so I don't usually click through to your actual blog. I bet at least a few other people do too.
Anyway, thanks so much for keeping this blog so steadily in the past year. I would have missed you guys a lot more if I didn't know what you were up to every week.
And maybe I'll actually get to see you when I'm home? (June 15-21)
-Erin

Randi Jo :) said...

I'm still here! :) and I also read through bloglines.com --- but don't always come to the site so I wouldn't be counted as a hit --- so imagine how many more readers you have! :)

I have loved following you all! :)

Robert D. said...

I'm here, too! You're in my 'favorites' and part of my daily computer routine. I always click on daily to see if there's an update.

Carrie said...

I check your blog everyday! You are listed in my favorites on my blog. I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures and have lived vicariously through you! I hope that someday Rob and I will be able to do something wonderful like you have! Enjoy your time with HA and please tell her Happy Birthday for me!
-Carrie

Unknown said...

Hi P & K! I've been mostly reading your blog with Google Reader lately as well. I always look forward to your posts and have lived vicariously through you this past year. It would be great to go sailing with you this summer. Welcome home!

Barbara said...

I have also been peaking in and not commenting. I enjoyed every comment - the next best thing as to being there. I, like your mother, am glad you are almost safely home. And I know your sailing days are far from over!!!! Maybe we'll get to meet up with you at Havre De Grace one of these days! Have a great birthday celebration with HA.

Unknown said...

P&K, have been reading and keeping up on your progress. I have enjoyed the virtual ride. The fam will be up your way the last week of June...perhaps a cold one and some fishing??

-Douglas