Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Keeping perspective........from K

While P was marveling at the power of the Gulf Stream, my thoughts were in the clouds - literally. While sailing off the coast of West Palm Beach on Monday, we looked up in the sky and there was a shooting explosion - rising higher and higher and higher into the sky. I would have been alarmed if I hadn't gotten a heads-up from Kathie (thanks, sis!). It was the shuttle launching from Cape Canaveral to go up to the Hubble telescope. For a fleeting moment, we could feel the umphhh of the liftoff and see the spark of the booster rocket. Very exciting! I marvel at the astronauts' courage and skill. In comparison, I feel very safe and secure on my little boat being propelled by wind and waves rather than at the mercy of atmospheric pressure, space debris and jet propulsion. Our 9-10 knot sail speed doesn't seem so impressive anymore.





Once again, a photograph doesn't capture the magic.

No comments: