Friday, May 8, 2009

finding our rythm ............ from P

We have had to return home twice, both times for two weeks or so. Each time is like getting transported to a different universe. Everything is familiar, but much different from the universe in which we currently live. When we return, we find that it takes a few days to get back into the rythm of living on a boat. We have been back aboard Senara for two days now, and I think we are settled in again. I can tell because we are doing all our favorite things again: Riding to Publix grocery store in our dinghy, snorkeling around in the warm, crystal water, watching the sunset, waking with the sunrise, and of course our favorite pastime for which we coined the term "floatying." Floatying involves teathering an inflatable chair, aka floaty, off the stern and enjoying a cool drink while floating with your bottom hanging in the water. It takes lots of practice, but we are committed to excellence.

We are headed north, making good time in this perfect weather, even if we have to run the motor more than I like. We found Senara to be in pretty good shape, but we did have one scare. When we first cast off from the mooring ball, Senara would barely move. I panicked with thoughts of a broken transmission, bent shaft, etc. etc. So we tied back to the mooring ball, I put 6 lbs of dive weights in my pockets, donned the dive mask and hooker hose, and jumped in. As soon as I was a few inches under the surface I could see that barnacles had bloomed, just like the azaleas in Virginia. The prop looked like a cauliflower, one big bunch of barnacles. After an hour of underwater scraping of the prop, shaft, and keel, we were back underway with no problems. Yes, part of the rythm involves a lot of physical work that I am not used to at home. Setting the anchor, weighing the anchor, setting and trimming sails, hoisting the dinghy and the motor, setting up the grill, mixing drinks, etc. Somebody has to do it. Besides, I am just finding my rythm again.
The floaty master
Last month's grocery shopping trip

No comments: