Thursday, May 7, 2009

Buses, Boats & Goats.......from K

I do love being a traveler. On Tuesday morning, P & I jumped on a flight to Miami. On Wednesday, we boarded a city bus that runs from Florida City to Marathon Harbor ($1.85 each way) and today we spent the day motor/sailing back up the Keys to a familiar anchorage behind Lignumvitae Key. P & I have become embarrassingly good at finding the cheapest way of getting around - it always provides great entertainment.

Having incredibly generous family members helps too! We spent a night with Karen & David again in Miami and met the newest addition to their family - an adorable Nubian goat named Chewy. He's only a few weeks old and they feed him by bottle three times a day. He's 12 pounds now but he's expected to top out at 200 pounds! Their Jack Russell terrier has decided his only role in life is to keep Chewy's ears clean. Too cute!! They are training Chewy to be a "pack goat" - to carry their camping gear when they go mountain hiking. Karen's convinced this idea will be a great success - David is a bit more dubious. While they're busy building him a pen in the back of the yard, Chewy is squirming to get in the back door of the house. The chickens are keeping their distance and I'm pretty sure I heard Ruby, the cockateil, "baahing" before we left the house. I love my family - they make me feel sane.
Now I know why he is named Chewy. I felt sorry for his mom!
Chief doesn't quite know what to make of Chewy yet.

1 comment:

MJ S said...

Great picture! Chewy sounds like fun! Can't wait to meet him!