Wednesday, April 22, 2009

don't tell them I said this..... from P

We have good kids. E is 24, HA will be 21 in June (AKA friggin' daughter #1 and friggin' daughter #2). Since we left in July they have been charged with taking care of our house, our cars, and as it turned out - helping take care of my dad. E works full time as a counselor/therapist for autistic children. She had to pay "rent" by paying the household utility bills. HA had to work part time so she could fund her own "out of pocket" expenses while carrying a full course load in engineering at ODU. Both were responsible for care and upkeep of the lawn and house. I must admit, I was concerned about leaving everything in their hands for nearly a year. But I am pleased (and proud) to report that, except for multiple accidents by E's 70 LB "puppy" and a couple of unexplained tire ruts in the yard, they have done a great job taking care of things. The house is still standing, we have received no nasty letters from the home owners' association, the neighbors are still speaking to us, the utilities are still on, and Spooky (the cat) is still alive. Overall good results. I would like to believe that this has been a learning experience for them. It certainly has for me. This trip has taught me more about myself than anything I have ever done, and one of the things I learned is that our daughters are maturing into self reliant women who can handle adult responsibilities. They are good kids who are quickly turning into great adults. Not bad for a couple of friggin' daughters.

No comments: