Monday, April 27, 2009

Dad, you did good ........ from P

My dad died Saturday night, April 25th, at 9:44 PM. His sister, my sister, and I were there by his side talking to him and praying as he passed on. He was very peaceful; he just stopped breathing. Then let out a deep sigh as he finally gave up the fight. As I held my cheek against his, all I could say was "dad, you did good." And did he ever. On so many levels he did good. He did good as a metal worker in the shipyard, as an executive with Sears Roebuck, and especially in his last 22 year career as a Realtor. He did good as a life long member of his local methodist church, serving on the Board for many years, teaching Sunday classes, leading the youth group, and being an important part of the church family. It was quite a family. I think I was around 10 years old or so when I figured out that we were not directly related to many of the other families in our church. They were such a part of our lives that I really thought they were kin. Mostly, he did good as a father. He and mom instilled in all three children a deep sense of self confidence, adventurousness, self discipline, and a love of nature. The three of us have just been relating stories about times when we would be making important life decisions, and dad would often end the conversation with "... you have good judgement, I trust your decision." We would often hear "I trust your decisions" even if we were getting ready to go out on a date, or drive around in a car. K and I know what a huge positive force he has been in the lives of our daughters, showing them the same kind of confidence and trust. Dad was a natural leader who knew how to build independence and character in others. He was born on March 11, 1921, and will continue living in me and my family every day. Yes, he did good.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm so very sorry.

Randi Jo :) said...

sorry to hear that but what a beautiful memoir/entry on him.

hope yall are doing great :) I'm still following!

Unknown said...

I learned a lot about my friend Pat by meeting and getting to know his father Oliver or Ollie as we would affectionately refer to him. His father was curious but in a caring way and I could tell that he respected his son in his life decisions, his friendships and his sense of humor. He was a good man and he will be missed by many. I learned a bit about myself by making his acquaintance and sharing many a good laugh and frequently a long story that always had a point.