Monday, January 26, 2009

Sunday lessons............from K

While everyone headed out for a second day of diving, I took a day of Sunday solace. I packed my rasta bag and headed for St. Mary's Star of the Sea Catholic Church - a gorgeous walk from our marina through old town Key West. It was easy to find - I just followed the sound of the church bells, "Be Not Afraid." The church is a 100 year-old white stucco building with large window/doors along the sides that open up into a courtyard. Being the beginning of Catholic Schools week, the church was decorated with banners from the adjoining school. The homily focused on keeping the school opened now that the diocese was closing dozens of other schools due to budget problems. This parish is able to keep this school open by cutting back on faculty, voluntary pay cuts and VOLUNTARY tuition increases - pretty inspirational.
The priest read an essay by a 6th-grade student, who quoted St. Therese of Avila who said, "Our faith is the fruit of what has been planted in our souls" - (or something close to that -help me, Dick!). I thought about my sporadic years in Catholic schools and the lessons of service we were taught. We didn't just collect canned goods and have them sent to a food shelter. As a class, we visited the nursing homes and played games with many of the lonely elderly, learning their names and returning monthly to visit with them. We were taught that service to others is a responsibility and a way of life. I cringe when I hear others talk about their "traumatic Catholic school days." Yeah, Sister Anthony was a little scary, but she also taught me to proof EVERYTHING twice before I submitted it - a lesson that has served me well. Sister Eileen taught me that a thoughtful, handwritten note is more valuable than a gift. Yes, planting these seeds are important.
In honor of Respect Life Sunday, the Knights of Columbus led a rosary behind the church in their grotto (a lovely reproduction of the grotto in Lourdes). I love the rhythm and unity of saying the rosary with others. When the leader got to the prayer for unborn children, his booming voice faltered, he paused and drew a deep breath, then his voice broke and he cried through the rest of the prayer. I think we were all moved by his emotion. Once again, I thought back many years when I was first pregnant with my E. She was "unplanned" and "inconvenient." Several people urged me to do the "responsible" thing and have an abortion. If not for my early seeds of faith, perhaps I would have chosen to end her life. Thank God I didn't. Instead, I am spending the most glorious weekend of my life with her, celebrating her 24th birthday, exploring the miraculous underwater beauty of this earth - and having a little bit of heathen fun too. I lit a candle for E - to honor her life, and to pray that the seeds of faith planted in her continue to grow strong and bountiful. And I thanked God for sending me here to this churchyard, to remind me that my life does indeed have purpose. I may not see the full picture now, but I have a growing faith in goodness. Amen.

No comments: