Monday, January 19, 2009

Race to Key West............. from K

Like sailing into the New York harbor last fall, sailing into Key West is a euphoric high. I barely dared to talk about doing such things because they seemed beyond me. Kind of like the first time I told someone that I wanted to learn to sail and in the back of my mind, I thought, "liar, you'll never do it." And yet here I am. What makes us pursue some dreams and not others?

Sailing into Key West is -as most things for me -much better than my imagination. The breeze was stiff (15 to 20) and it was the Acura Key West Race Week. Wow!! Huge, colorful spinnakers popped as hundreds of boats circled around us on three different courses. In truth, we were careful to stay out of their way and admired the sailors' skill and the boats' grace from afar. P was impressed with the rapid, tight tacks of the racers, and I was blissfully entertained being at the helm, and in my mind, "racing" every boat out there. We came into the harbor at the end of the day with the other boats and the air was strong with exhaustion, excitement and a sense of a good-day's work. Yes, competition fueled by a pounding sun and blustering winds is a good day's work. I know, I know - I can't compare it to the worthwhile time spent teaching a classroom of kids or spending a day with an ill parent, but it's the kind of day that feeds my soul, that makes me feel excited to be alive - and refreshes my resolve to be more generous and courageous. Isn't that a necessary part of life too?






Win, place, and show!








P & I headed for the mooring field on the north end of the island of Key West. Two tries and we lassoed a mooring ball (no tethers here! it's bring your own). Pork chops on the grill, then a night of being slapped by whitecaps in a strong west wind. I love even the disappointing surprises that make the Keys (this trip?) so unashamedly simple.





The southern-most point in the U.S. !













Floating houses!













Just a cool picture of a cutter rigged ketch.








No comments: