Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Islamorada..................from K

It's been 6 days since I've been on dry ground. I must say that I was eager to dinghy into Islamorada this morning. I wanted to see other people, to use a regular bathroom and buy shampoo. But once on land - and after a great lunch of conch soup and a fresh fish sandwich, I kept looking back at the water. The 'restaurant' where we ate is more like a big tiki bar on the beach with chairs and tables that look over the boat harbor. We could see Senara swaying in the sun. And I just can't get over how perfect it all is: the hot white sun is cooled just enough by the gentle breezes that come in off the water - on both sides of the island. I never dreamed that I would have such a perfectly gorgeous day, let alone a whole week of breathtaking sunsets, colorfully funny fish and delicious breezes. So after a day of visiting shops - of course a book store - and meandering through a private resort, I am happy to return to my own little island of a boat. She has everything I need right now.





Florida Bay











Lorelei's at Islamorada

I did finally see a manatee. It was in Miami when P & I were provisioning the boat. A fisherman said a manatee had just passed under the bridge, so I ran to the other side and I almost missed seeing it because I was looking for an animal the size of a dog - this one was more like a rhinocerous. He looked like a great big 3000-pound baked potato. He was moving only about 2-3 mph but I understand they can go as fast as 15 mph. I wouldn't want to have one chasing me. He seemed pretty docile though - just big! Also, P learned that the "Barracuda looking fish" he described in his blog below was indeed a Barracuda! I am Glad I didn't know that when he was staring at me.

No comments: