Wednesday, September 24, 2008

so close....but yet.......from P

Here we sit. In the Rappahannock River, one good day's sail from home. But for the first time in three months we are 'weathered in.' Yesterday we surfed the swells and rode a rough NE wind down the Rappahannock and into Carter's creek. My anemometer showed wind speeds from a low of 18 knots to a high of 28 as we bucked along. Windspeed is never the problem, as we can always reef sails. The problem is the development of big breaking swells that build over long fetches of open water. Anything over 5 feet gets uncomfortable for us. Anything over 8 feet can be dangerous. The marine forecast for today is 20 to 30 knot NE winds all day, with seas building to 9 feet. Tomorrow promises more of the same. I don't want any parts of that. So here we sit. One day from home may take three days. I think I will have another coffee.

2 comments:

Randi Jo :) said...

thanks for letting us be part of the journey - well sort of - but I've enjoyed reading it and pretending I'm a part hehe

Barbara said...

You should be home by now. What a great adventure you two had. I hope you are home safe and sound. Thanks for taking us with you. It looks like you just missed Hurricane Kyle. Angels were watching over you, for sure! I'm looking forward to the next part of your trip.