Monday, September 15, 2008

Fair weather sailor..............from K

I was not a good sailor today. I was not even a good firstmate. If truth be told, I sucked as a human being. When the seaspray hit my face, I cursed it. When we hit 30 degrees heel, instead of strategically placing me seat cushion on the high side of the boat, I curled up on the lee bench using a lifejacket as my pillow. P gave me one look and wisely gave the helm to "ghostman" before asking me to steer awhile. I was done. I was tired of rocking, slamming, slipping and smiling. The ocean was angry and so was I. I didn't want to watch the clouds or the waves or the birds or the other boats anymore. I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep.

Unfortunately, P doesn't have this option. He is the captain whether he feels like it or not, whether the wind and waves are fare or foul. I'm amazed at his indefatigable enthusiasm. Even after sailing 8 hours, he will often find an excuse to sail just "a little bit longer." He never asks more of me than I'm willing to give - and I do usually give more. But today, I had nothing.

No comments: