Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Necessary Snafu........................from K

Sailing out of Nantucket was gorgeous and brisk until the halyard loop on our genoa snapped and our big billowing sail was languishing in the Nantucket Sound. Pulling a sail in from the water is a lot harder than hoisting it up but we did it - and now we have one more exciting experience to add to our adventure. Once again, I was impressed with how well P & I work together in a crisis. Of course P is always the decision maker and I just try to assist and anticipate the next consequential disaster. "What do you need for me to do?" is my crisis mantra. I'm not sure if I'm talking to P or God at such times!
I think we kinda needed this problem. We were both getting a bit of the duldroms and we couldn't decide if it was because we were having to begin our northern treck home or because we had hit our 7th week out and the novelty was beginning to wear thin. Nonetheless, nothing makes us communicate better than a good problem to solve together. As our good friends Liz and Andy say, "when you get lemons, make lemonade." So we hoisted our brand new storm sail, which turned out to be perfect for our brisk day and found a sail repair marina in Falmouth, MA. We LOVE McDougal's! They could not have been more accommodating. Although it sounds like all we meet are great people, that's not so. We just focus on our angels. Rick repaired our sail better than new, I did laundry, and P & I sat in the cozy marina lounge until late last night watching the Dem. Convention - I'll leave comments about that to the pundits - and perhaps another blogsite.
P & I slept so hard last night that we woke up exhausted. It was the first time in weeks that we were not anchored out or tied to a mooring ball. No matter how tired we are, the rolling, bumping, tinging of boats and anchor lines wake us during the night. We didn't know it, but we needed an uninterrupted night of quiet sleep. Yeah, I do miss my bed.
As I write, we are motoring through Woods Hole Passage on our way to Westport, MA. Mom, if I see Paul Newman, I'll give him a kiss for you.

No comments: