Saturday, July 12, 2008

saint somewhere......................from P

N 37-32.945 W 76-19.806. Saturday morning, on the hook in Jackson Creek, Deltaville finishing up breakfast. Looking around in the early morning sun reminds me of yesterday's "motor run" up here. We got underway yesterday at 6:00 AM, and as my dad has always said - we were greatly rewarded for gettin' goin' early. On auto-pilot we drank our coffee sitting on the bow watching the pod of dolphin who decided to accompany us most of the way broach and play, one of them jumping clean out of the water a couple of times. No-one but us, the sparkling (but flat) bay, and the dolphin. It was one of those "OK just kill me now" moments. It was a short run, only 23 miles so we arrived around 9:30 - intentionally early so that we could get our head examined. Sorry...make that, get our potty fixed. Same thing. Since I had earlier invoked assistance from one if the saints, K's cousin, Barbara, suggested that we try again and see if we could get a hand from St. Vincent Ferrer. Apparently he is the potty saint. Who knew? Well, believe it or not, the saint showed up in Deltaville Boat Yard by the name of Christy. This was a new experience for me. I have never had a woman mechanic - especially a pretty, soft spoken one - work on my boat before. I had to resist the urge to say "... well I could do that myself you know....". Christy deftly dismantled the head pump, made some nifty modifications to the valve flaps and had us flushing in no time. She also changed the oil and replaced the filter with no fuss or muss. Total cost was about half what I initially guessed. The saints are 2 for 2. We walked into Deltaville and finally found a pizza place, returned to Senara and watched some TV on the laptop. I give Deltaville Boat Yard an A+ but I give the "town" of Deltaville a C-. Onward to anchor behind a friend's house in Indian Creek tonight. He promises martinis!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Em told me y'all were spending the year sailing. How absolutely wonderful!

Mandi

Happyone said...

That is so cool to have the dolphins swimming along with you as you sail along! Sounds wonderful.

Lizard said...

Hi K&P--

Thought about y'all last weekend. Andy and I were in Ocean City, Md. and the waves were crazy-huge because of Bertha. Hope the hurricane didn't get in your way too much!

Already missing you at NSA!

Liz