Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Finally aboard (sort of)......................from K

I'm finally onboard - literally! While P had his fun renovating Senara, I kept my distance. So today was my first sojourn aboard and I hadn't realized how much I missed her. Even though Diesel Dawg is still working his magic and the salon is strewn with tools and rags, Senara's familiar buoyant roll feels like a comfortable ol' rocking chair, ready to both lull me to sleep and quicken the blood for adventure. She smells of fresh teak and clean diesel, and I can't wait to hang clean porthole curtains and stock the cabinets with beach towels and thick novels. Although I thought I had stripped her clean before the work began, I was surprised at the valuable trinkets I'd left behind - a lucky beaded necklace we found at the horseshoe pits at Warwick Yacht Club last fall, my favorite rosary tucked in my v-berth drawer, and perhaps most useful, P's wristwatch with the broken strap with the numbers that glow in the dark. We're still not sure why we need to know the time in the dark of night, but somehow it's comforting to connect with the rest of the world, at least through arbitrary numbers.
As I begin stocking the boat for our long adventure, I have to weigh the significance of each item. The rosary and watch will stay, but I'm afraid the beads have run out of luck...P better maintain his usefulness!!

4 comments:

Brad said...

Exciting to be getting under way. Would you post the expected sailing date? I'm looking forward to coming along and watching over your shoulder as it were.

Happyone said...

I can feel the excitment in your words.
I can't wait for you to get going so I can follow along with you on your trip.

C.C. said...

K! You're posting! I tried calling you all after the weather incident in your neck of the woods, but got a busy signal, got nervous and called V. Glad to hear you all and Senara are okay and things are moving along. You must be having such fun nesting for your journey!

Senara said...

Brad - thank you for asking. I have updated our side bar - "what are we doin'?" to include our target departure date of mid-July. Until then, we will post "preparatory adventures". Thanks for checking in on us !