Saturday, April 19, 2008

A BIG day ........................ from P

Yesterday was a culmination of multiple plans that had been laid for months. The new Westerbeke 44-b diesel powerplant was installed, the "I can't tell you where I got it from" commercial ship grade bottom paint was rolled on - 3 good coats, two layers of epoxy was laid on the bottom of the rudder, and a number of deck fittings were tightened up and re-sealed. It is a strange process. Weeks go by with nothing happening, then we have one or two days of frantic progress. And so it goes. I worked so hard yesterday squatting and rolling paint, shimmying under the rudder and dripping epoxy down my arm, helping guide the engine into the compartment, then pushing and pulling it around; today my ear is still ringing (that one is a mystery), my shoulders have spasmed into knots, and my butt hurts. But I couldn't be happier with the results. Thank you Diesel Dawg, George and Chris! I cannot wait to splash. Maybe two more weeks?
The new engine bed at left - Scott the "Diesel Dawg" worked hard to ensure this was perfect.


...............................birth of a new engine



on the way!













dropped in - and onto the slide ramp that Scott built just for this. Just a couple of pushes to set her onto that bed.













just like butta!



do the Diesel Dawg strut - you deserve it!

Chris helped me paint all day, did fabulous work, and made it look easy

4 comments:

C.C. said...

The unglamorous side of sailing! Congratulations on this big leap forward. I hope we see you all up this way soon, docked in Occoquan or Alexandria!

Brad said...

Wow - What fun! - Six Month of Settled tip me off to your adventure. I'm glad she did. Permission to come aboard Captain?

Happyone said...

I came here by way of c.c.
What a great adventure you have ahead of you. It sounds wonderful!!
I look forward to following your story.

I read KonTiki years ago and thought it was a great book.

BumbleVee said...

a steady stream from c.c.'s house..... looking forward to the voyage.