Sunday, June 21, 2009

top ten, or so ................. from P

Now that we are back home "for good," our priorities have switched from navigation to yard maintenance. Actually, I am very much enjoying being home. And I will never again take for granted the wonders of modern conveniences. I can make coffee while at the same time remaining cool in the air conditioning. I have popsicles in the freezer. I don't have to pump a handle to flush the toilet. I no longer walk five miles carrying ten or twelve grocery bags. I can take a continuously flowing shower. Amazing. But as I was riding the lawnmower yesterday my mind drifted (again) back to living aboard Senara in the keys, and I mentally reviewed the top ten things I really, really miss. As a nod of support toward Dave Letterman, they are in reverse order:
10. Aqua colored clouds
9. Dogs on dinghies
8. Grouper sandwiches
7. Conch horns at sunset
6. Sailors always waving at each other
5. Mangroves and Gumbo Limbo trees
4. Looking over the side and seeing bottom
3. Easily making new friends at happy hour
2. Key Lime pie
And the number one thing I miss is: Scuba diving on the reefs in crystal clear water.

And the other major number one thing I miss is: Getting up every morning knowing that today I will sail the boat, encounter something new, and drop anchor somewhere else tonight. Two number one things. Sorry Letterman.

No comments: