Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Harry makes it home! .... from P

I am tired of waiting for K to post a blog entry, and there has been a loud hue and cry from our readers demanding to know what ever became of Harry. I am very happy to report that Harry made it all the way home. As you may remember, in December I sailed southbound alone for two weeks - from Cocoa Beach, FL to Homestead, FL. Well, not quite alone. K had escaped my constant yapping to go home and assist her mom in attending to her unwell father. But after about a week, I picked up a passenger to talk to named Harry. Harry is the cousin of a famous movie star volleyball named Wilson. Even so, there he was, abandoned and floating around in the Intracoastal Waterway near Palm Beach. So I rescued Harry from the big, scary powerboats that were blustering around and we became inseparable friends. I have often consulted Harry regarding navigation decisions. After some conversation regarding the pros and cons, we come to a decision; if it was a bad decision, he never complained. One of Harry's biggest jobs was to alert me whenever the seas grew too angry and large to be safe. When that happened, Harry would jump out of the cup holder (his favorite spot) and bang around on the cockpit floor. That's when I knew to seek safe harbor. So, thanks Harry for all the weather warnings, and I am glad you rode along for the 2,000 miles or so all the way home. We will take a ride around the Chesapeake Bay this summer - maybe you can help keep me off the mud.




Harry rests after pulling into the slip at home. Bad weather made him lose his monogrammed shirt.
Under sail last December.

No comments: