Sunday, February 22, 2009

to the next adventure............from K

P & I are blessed to have a group of friends that we good-naturedly call the "handhuggers." The name started because of the men's natural aversion to hug each other, but over the years, I notice that familiarity breeds affection. Our group of families have been meeting monthly for more than 16 years, sharing meals, prayer, births, illnesses, and embarrassing secrets. Each fall, we stay at cabins up at Crabtree Falls and spend hours hiking, eating, and chatting around a bonfire. We take turns preparing inspirational discussions, encouraging one another to strengthen our marriages and just dare to be better people. I don't think we set out to become life-long friends, but now we know so much about each other, we have no choice. And that's a good thing.

So, as soon as I was back in town from visiting my parents for a week, Dick and Bebe invited the group over for dinner and stories. Even after meeting such wonderful strangers in our travels this past year, I must say that being with old friends is best: the hugs when you enter the house, the familiar smell of Bebe's burritos, Renee's gourmet salad, Ken's dry humor and the four conversations going on at once. I love hearing updates on their kids, even if the news isn't always good. I marvelled at their interested questions - they read our blog more carefully than I read the newspaper. Even though Bob and Sue are in the Windy City now, we felt their presence. What great friends!

We head back to Miami on Tuesday for the last leg of our trip. I'm excited to get back to Senara, knowing that P & I have a few more adventures and lessons to learn. But, my mother has always said that the best part of going anywhere is going home. And I think come May, I'll be as excited to return home - and friends - as I was to set out on my current adventure.

1 comment:

bobbyb said...

P & K. Safe travels on your northbound leg. May you have good winds...

The Beards of Suffolk