Tuesday, February 17, 2009

grow up ............... from P

In hindsight I probably sounded like a 12 year old when I said it. In the midst of all the confusion surrounding my dad's being moved from ICU to "step down" to regular hospital care and now to a nursing/rehab facility, combined with the emotions and expectations regarding which of us kids are going to sit with him and attend to his needs (and a bit of sleep deprivation added into the mix for good measure), I let it slip. I said "I am tired of all this, I just want to get back on the boat and be gone." Childish, yes. But it was a true gut reaction. I have forgiven myself for saying it, and I am now getting ready to again "buck up" and go back to the hated nursing facility for a day of needles and bed pans. I feel nauseous just walking in there. But dad needs a lot of attention right now, and I need to remember my priorities.

1 comment:

C.C. said...

Aw, P, don't be hard on yourself. You are in that place that all of us of a certain age are dreading...seeing our parents so frail and hurting. You must be feeling so stressed...no wonder you're daydreaming about being back on Senara! Take care of yourself. We're thinking of you and your family. I hope your dad is improving every day and that the rehab facility is just a short stay before he can go back home. Lots of love to you and K! C.C.