Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Miami! ................... from P

The first nice surprise was that Dave and Gail from our boat club at home happened to be coming into Miami at the same time as me. I knew they were coming down the ICW but they started almost a month after us. I told Dave which marina I was going into, so he arranged for the same one. The next nice surprise was that the waterfront area adjacent to the city marina is a lively place to say the least. An open-air mall with two levels of high-end shops, souvineer shops, Cuban restaurants, tour boat landings, helicopter rides, a sound stage, and a Cuban guy hand rolling cigars for sale right there. The best "surprise" was my daughter, H, joining me onboard for a few days through Christmas. After dinner at one of the authentic Cuban restaurants, the four of us were entertained by the salespeople who demonstrated their toys and barked at the loud throng of people strolling by. Then came the real entertainment. A high energy Cuban band started up at the soundstage, and scores of people just started dancing. They were into it. They were dancing with super-fast feet, lots of jiggling and gyrating. Judging from the older man dancing with the balloons on his head, and the other guy who started taking off his shirts (yes shirts), we figured the object of the dance was to draw as much attention to oneself as possible. It was hopeless to try to understand the singer, or anyone around us; if you don't speak Spanish well, then you just watch. All of this was after a full day of walking around Miami and spending a few hours at the art museum, which exhibited a strange mixture of avant-gard stuff. We saw a stack of old Fed Ex boxes, a pile of wrapped candy, a room full of TV sets - each showing dark footage of life in the old iron curtain Russia, and a video of women smoking cigarettes. I didn't get it. Walking the streets, I felt like I was visiting a different country - but it was great entertainment. One woman tried to sell me some alligator shoes. Actually, they were pretty cool. But I will stick with my boat shoes.

No comments: