Saturday, June 18, 2011

glorious

You should not name your boat "Glorious." The gods don't like hubris. It would be like naming your first born son "Champ." Nothing good can come from it. But there she was, a perfectly restored and maintained Tartan 37, just slightly older than Senara as evidenced by her earlier hull number. Roughly 100 Tartan 37s were built between the time Glorious was built and when Senara first splashed over 30 years ago. I eased next to her, the owner and I talked some "Tartan," and I noticed how perfectly restored she was. She is the only other Tartan I have seen of that vintage with the teak cockpit seat racks still in place. Nice.

I just noticed my last blog entry was 11 months ago! Impossible to catch up all 11 months in this venue, but one event must be recorded: Senara and her humble crew - Neil, HA, and me - won the cruising division of the prestigious Cape Charles Cup regatta in August! The CC Cup is a two day race across the Chesapeake and back. We beat 51 boats in our fleet! I would like to brag a bit more, but I must remember the hubris thing.

We are at it again. As I write this, we are anchored in Mill Creek on the western side of the Bay. We have been sailing for four days and we may continue for another few weeks. Just can't get enough. Tuesday and Wednesday, there was a strong steady 15 to 22 knot breeze out of the North. We packed probably 15 T-shirts and shorts. We were chilly as we pounded into the 3-4 foot whitecaps, and had to dig out the only two jackets on board. It felt sooooo good. Each day has been a little different of course, but we have had a full moon, steady breezes, good food, a nice stop-over in Urbanna, and perfect summer weather. Glorious!

1 comment:

Em Hill said...

Call your kids!!!